When it comes to power outages, Merts Heating & Air Conditioning urges everyone to live by the motto, “Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.” Preparing your Steger, IL or Crown Point, IN home for all eventualities is the best way to protect yourself. Our experts have put together some information to help you in the process.
HOW LONG WILL THE POWER OUTAGE LAST?
That of course is a question that’s impossible to answer. Certainly, most power outages are short in duration, but we’ve all seen the other extreme. The latest example is the extended power outages folks in the south lived through a few months ago. Many extended outages are caused by extreme weather—freezing rain, sleet storms, and high winds—that severely damage power lines and other infrastructure.
WHAT TO DO WHEN THE LIGHTS GO OUT
You need to know the extent of the power outage. Are the lights on at the neighbor’s house? If so, make sure to check your electric panel to make sure it’s not a problem with a circuit breaker or fuse. Whatever the cause of the outage, here are some dos and don’ts to help you get through it:
- Unplug or turn off as many appliances and electrical devices as possible. The idea is to prevent any damage from a power surge when electrical service is restored.
- Leave just one light switch turned on and turn off all others. This will alert you when the power comes back on but will decrease the electrical load.
- Don’t open the refrigerator or freezer unless absolutely necessary.
- Do not use a charcoal or gas grill, camp stove, or home generator inside the home because of the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Avoid using candles when possible and never leave lit candles unattended or within reach of children.
- Make sure you have a portable radio so you can stay informed about the power outage and weather conditions.
PROTECT YOURSELF WITH A GENERATOR
Power outages, especially extended ones, are much more than an inconvenience. They can be downright dangerous when they happen during extreme weather events. Additionally, many households have lifesaving medical equipment that depends on electricity. The best way to keep everyone in your Illinois or Northwest Indiana home safe and healthy is with a whole-house generator. Merts is proud to feature Briggs and Stratton generators, one of the most respected names in power equipment.
WHY WHOLE HOUSE?
Most portable generators can’t do more than power a few devices and can’t run your HVAC systems. When a whole-house generator is professionally installed with a transfer switch, it’s totally worry free. The generator starts automatically when the power goes off and shuts off when electrical service is restored.
DEPEND ON MERTS
Don’t spend any more time worrying about the effects of an extended power outage. Call Merts Heating & Air Conditioning to learn more about installing a whole-house generator in your Steger, IL or Crown Point, IN home. To learn more about the services we over be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.