When you think of the word myth, what comes to mind? Bigfoot or the Loch Ness Monster? In the HVAC world, there are also myths, especially when it comes to your thermostat. Depending on how old your home is, you might have an outdated thermostat or a more modern wifi thermostat. Let’s see what common myths people have to say about them.
- I heard if I turn my thermostat to its lowest temperature, will it cool my home quicker? Myth. Once the thermostat sends the message to your air conditioner to get to work, the process takes time. Turning it all the way down will not speed up that process.
- Is it better to turn the thermostat off to save money? Also a myth. The primary job of the thermostat is to maintain a constant temperature. Turning it off means when you turn it back on, it will have to run longer and harder to get back to the temperature you set it to.
- Do programmable thermostats really save me money? They sure do! A programmable thermostat decreases your utility bills by allowing you to program it to lower or higher temperatures during peak hours. They also eliminate the need for you to manually turn it up and down several times during the day.
- Should I switch to a Wi-Fi thermostat? An excellent idea! It gives you complete control of your home’s climate control remotely, via personal devices such as smartphones and tablets. This can allow you to turn the thermostat up or down if you forgot to adjust or program it before leaving, or if the weather changes while you are away. If you want to try something really cool, ask your Merts professional about the awesome new Ecobee Wi-Fi thermostat, which features such options as room sensors and voice activation. Call us today for more info on this cool technology.
- When do I need to replace my thermostat? Depends. Thermostats are like everything else mechanical: they don’t last forever. If you notice temperature swings throughout your home, your thermostat may be malfunctioning, or it may simply be old and worn out. Either way, it may be time to replace it.
Call Merts For Your Wifi Thermostat Installation
Call Merts today for more information about how to use your wifi thermostat; if you suspect your thermostat may be acting up, don’t pay attention to some of the myths you hear. After all, myths are made to be busted!