The calendar has changed to 2021, but the fight against COVID19 continues which means many of us are spending a lot of time inside with air pollution. That makes the indoor air quality in your Illinois or Northwest Indiana home even more vital to protecting your health.
If you are new to the topic of indoor air pollution here are a few things Merts Heating & Air Conditioning wants you to know:
- The EPA has determined inside air can be two to five times more polluted than outside air.
- It has also ranked indoor air pollution among the top five environmental risks to public health.
- Some medical authorities say 50% of all illnesses are caused or made worse by poor indoor air quality.
- Additionally, the Department of Energy says employers can increase productivity about 10% by improving indoor air quality.
- A Kimberly-Clark Corporation study determined poor IAQ caused an additional six sick days per year for every 10 workers.
- Respiratory specialists say asthma cases can be reduced by more than half if contaminants such as dust mites are properly controlled.
Protecting Yourself and Your Family
Now that the problem of poor indoor air quality has been established, let’s talk about some of the solutions for your Illinois or Northwest Indiana home.
- Use high-performance air filters. Filters catch particles in the air and using high-quality filters will trap more and smaller particles. However, there is a limit. Using filters that are too dense for your particular furnace or air conditioner can cause damage. Follow the recommendation in your owner’s manual or call Merts if you have any questions.
- Use a whole-house air purification system. While filters remove particles, they don’t scrub the air. Purifiers are designed to kill viruses, bacteria, and neutralize volatile organic compounds.
Merts is proud to feature the Oxy 4 AirPurifier™ by Respicaire. It uses Ultraviolet light and catalytic reactions to create ionically charged airborne oxidizers. When it is installed in your HVAC system, these oxidizers circulate throughout your home to help reduce and eliminate molds, virus, bacteria, microbes, odors, and volatile organic compounds (VOC’s).
Make Sure Your Home is Safe
Call Merts now to schedule a no-obligation appointment to assess the indoor air quality in your Illinois or Northwest Indiana home, and how it can be improved. In this time of working from home offices and distance learning for children, don’t you want the safest conditions possible? To learn more about what we offer, be sure to like and follow us on Facebook and Twitter.