When your air conditioning (AC) unit begins to show signs of wear, it can be hard to determine if you only need a simple repair or if you need to replace your air conditioning unit. However, there are several key indicators that can help you make an informed decision. Read on to learn more from Merts Heating & Air Conditioning, the HVAC leader in Steger, Illinois, Crown Point, Indiana and the surrounding areas.
Things to consider before replacing your air conditioning unit:
- Consider the age of your unit: Most AC systems are designed to last 10-15 years with regular maintenance. If your unit is reaching or has surpassed this age range, it might be more cost-effective to replace your old AC and invest in a newer, more efficient model.
- Pay attention to the frequency of repairs: If your AC is breaking down often, these repairs can quickly add up to the cost of a new unit. Moreover, frequent breakdowns can indicate that your unit is approaching the end of its lifespan.
- Rising energy bills: If you notice a steady increase in your power bills over the summer months, despite unchanging or similar usage patterns, your AC may not be working as efficiently as it should.
- Unusual noises or smells: If you notice a strange smell when your AC is running, or if it’s making loud or unusual noises, these could signify internal issues that require immediate attention from a professional HVAC technician. Schedule an appointment with a Merts team member today.
- Your home isn’t cooling evenly or you’re experiencing humidity issues: It is likely that there are challenges with your AC that are preventing it from operating effectively. You may notice hot and cold spots or that your home just doesn’t feel as comfortable as it once did.
In conclusion, while many homeowners see having to decide on an AC replacement as a significant investment that could possibly be prolonged, it’s essential to consider all the long-term pros and cons. If you’re currently experiencing any of these challenges, schedule an in-home, no-cost evaluation with a Merts Heating & Air Conditioning Comfort Specialist. We will assess your current system and needs, your budget and offer you some options that best suit your needs.
Don’t wait, Contact Merts today.