What To Do If Your Air Conditioner Suddenly Stops Working
Summers in Illinois and Indiana are typically warm, wet and humid, so it’s pretty important to keep your AC running at its best to keep indoor humidity down and comfort levels high. If your AC system has suddenly stopped working, there are several troubleshooting steps you can try that may help. If DIY isn’t in your wheelhouse, Merts Heating & Air Conditioning has over 70 years of expertise to complete an AC repair quickly to get your system back on track.
However, if you want to give it a go, try the following:
1. Before doing anything else, make sure your AC is receiving power. If a circuit breaker has tripped or a fuse has blown, power to the unit will be interrupted. If either has occurred, reset the breaker by turning it off and back on or replace the fuse and see if the AC starts working again.
2. Ensure that the thermostat is working properly. First, ensure the system is actually in “cool” mode. Then set the temperature to a number that is lower than the room temperature displayed and listen to see if the AC unit comes on. You can also try replacing the batteries in the thermostat.
3. Inspect the air filter to see if it’s dirty or clogged with dust. An air filter that doesn’t allow air to flow freely can cause the AC to stop working. Before heading to the store, check your system’s specifications, so you purchase the correct one for your unit and replace it right away.
4. If the outdoor component of the AC is not operating, it can cause the entire system to stop working altogether. Check for any debris, dirt or plantings that may be blocking the outdoor unit and remove it. Additionally, check if you can easily see any signs of damage or wear and tear on the unit. It’s best to call Merts to thoroughly check your AC, though rather than getting into the outdoor unit yourself.
5. If none of the above steps work or if you are unsure about what to do, it’s time to schedule an appointment with a professionally trained Merts Service Professional. They can diagnose the problem and fix it for you. It’s important to note that attempting to fix the AC on your own could be dangerous and cause further damage, so it’s best to leave it to the professionals. So just leave it to Merts to fix your AC that has stopped working.