When your favorite football team loses the big game it’s easy to blame the quarterback or maybe the coach. Just like it’s easy to blame the air conditioner when your Steger, IL or Crown Point, IN house gets too hot during the summer. Just like football is a team game, several components have to work together for an air conditioner to cool properly. Merts Heating & Air Conditioning finds that many times homeowners forget about a very important component…the thermostat.
Thermostat is the Key to Unlock Comfort
During a hot Great Lakes summer, the air conditioner provides you with a little oasis of comfort against the heat and humidity. But if the thermostat is malfunctioning then the door to that oasis is closed and you are stranded in the hot desert. Most of the time it’s going to take a professional technician to determine if the thermostat is at fault, but here are some signs to be aware of:
- Short-cycling: This is when the AC compressor shuts down…then turns back on and it happens repeatedly.
- Uneven cooling: When a thermostat isn’t correctly calibrated the AC doesn’t run long enough to cool the entire house.
- Blower fan won’t start/stop running: This is usually a wiring problem inside the thermostat.
- No cooling at all: This is another sign the thermostat could be failing to communicate with the air conditioner.
It Could be Time For a Thermostat Change
Any problems with your thermostat present an opportunity to upgrade, especially if you don’t already have a smart thermostat. Think about the benefits you will get when you upgrade:
- Increased comfort and convenience are possible because a smart thermostat can be customized to fit your lifestyle. You set different temperature settings for different times of the day.
- Controlling your system from anywhere is a great tool especially if you are the type who forgets to adjust the thermostat when you leave for work or school. You can change the temperature setting using your smartphone or any other mobile device.
- It all adds up to saving money by using a smart thermostat. First, with lower monthly bills because the AC isn’t running when you don’t need it. Then it also saves money in the long run because the air conditioner isn’t running for as many hours which can increase the lifespan of the equipment.
Maintenance is Important
Just always remember your thermostat is part of a complex system designed to keep you comfortable in your Illinois or Northwest Indiana home, so don’t ignore it. The thermostat should always be checked and tested by an HVAC technician as part of regular AC maintenance. Call Merts Heating & Air Conditioning to schedule your maintenance now and to learn more about options available for you. For more information be sure to like and follow us on Facebook and Twitter.