Furnace Maintenance by Merts Can Save Lives

By in
Furnace Maintenance by Merts Can Save Lives

For years, Merts has been trying to get the message out about the advantages of heating system tune-ups and regular maintenance. It allows your system to operate more efficiently, and last longer. But there is something much more important to talk about. Routine maintenance and inspections might save the lives of you and your family.

Did you know carbon monoxide poisoning kills more than 400 people each year? It can be caused by any device that burns fuel; whether it’s wood, natural gas, kerosene, coal, etc. When our technicians perform furnace maintenance, they will check for a cracked heat exchanger. It is one of the most common causes of CO leaks. It allows the odorless gas to escape into the home rather than going up the flue. Additionally, maintenance by our Merts technician will include a combustion analysis to make sure the fuel is being burned correctly. Not many HVAC companies do this as part of regular maintenance, but Merts does.

An Important Side-Note

★     No matter what an HVAC technician tells you, NEVER use a furnace with a cracked heat exchanger.

★     Their tests may indicate no carbon monoxide is present at that moment and tell you it’s safe, but a cracked exchanger can start leaking at any time.

★     Do not take chances with this silent killer.

We also urge you to install carbon monoxide detectors in your home, and we do mean detectors (plural). The experts say a single CO detector really isn’t enough. There should be one on every floor of your home. To get the best reading, they should be installed about five feet above the floor. Put one close to every sleeping area so the alarm can be heard clearly, and a CO detector close to the door that goes to your attached garage. A running car can easily fill the house with carbon monoxide.

Often-times the warning signs of CO poisoning are subtle and you don’t even realize what’s happening. According to the Mayo Clinic, these are some symptoms you should be alert for:

  • Dull Headache
  • Weakness
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea or Vomiting
  • Shortness of breath
  • Confusion
  • Blurred vision
  • Loss of consciousess

Do not take chances with this life-threatening situation. If you even suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, you should treat it as an emergency. Get the victim into fresh air and get immediate medical care.

Nothing is more important than your family’s safety. Call Merts Heating & Air Conditioning now to schedule your heating system maintenance and carbon monoxide test. If your home doesn’t have CO detectors, talk with us about installing them.