As the mid-western summer heat and humidity sets in, a well-functioning AC is more of a necessity than a luxury. However, AC units can encounter a range of issues that affect their performance. Here are five common AC problems and how you can troubleshoot them.
- AC Not Cooling: An AC that is running but not cooling may be caused by a dirty air filter. The restricted air flow decreases the unit’s efficiency, causing the indoor temperature to rise. Regularly changing or cleaning your AC’s air filter can solve this issue. A Merts Heating & Air Conditioning Energy Savings Agreement (ESA) provides comprehensive AC maintenance, including air filters, to help you avoid an unnecessary AC repair.
- Leaking Water: If you discover water leaking from or standing water around your AC unit, it might be due to a clogged condensate drain line. You could try using a wet/dry vacuum to unclog it but for quick and efficient service, call Merts to schedule a service call and avoid further damage.
- Cycling On and Off: If your AC constantly cycles on and off, also known as short cycling, it could be due to a dirty evaporator coil or a refrigerant leak. It’s best to have a Merts Heating & Air Conditioning professional handle these challenges to avoid greater damage to your AC unit.
- Blowing Warm Air: If your AC is blowing warm air, check your thermostat settings first. Ensure it’s set to “cool” mode and that the indoor temperature setting is what you desire. If the settings are correct and the problem persists, you may be low on refrigerant, which requires a professional’s help. Call Merts to schedule an appointment.
- Strange Noises: If your AC is making rattling, humming, banging or buzzing noises, it could be due to a loose part, failing motor or an issue with the fan. Switch off the AC and contact Merts Heating & Air Conditioning to schedule one of their trained technicians to diagnose the problem and complete any necessary AC repairs.
Regular AC maintenance can help prevent these common issues. However, if problems persist after your initial troubleshooting attempts, it’s wise to contact Merts to avoid further damage and ensure your AC’s longevity. Enjoy a cool, comfortable summer by staying on top of your AC’s health!
For AC repairs, installations, maintenance or any other HVAC issues, contact Merts Heating & Air Conditioning today.