Unveiling the Mystery: Why Your Indoor Air Quality Is so Poor & How to Improve It
When it comes to our well-being, the quality of the air we breathe indoors is often overlooked. With over 90% of our time spent inside, indoor air quality (IAQ) is critical to our overall health. Surprisingly, indoor air can be more polluted than the air outside, leading to various health issues.
In this blog, Merts Heating & Air Conditioning offers several reasons behind your poor indoor air quality and provides effective solutions to help you breathe easier.
- Inadequate ventilation is a leading cause of indoor air pollution. When buildings are sealed tightly for energy efficiency, harmful pollutants get trapped inside. To combat this, ensure proper ventilation by opening windows, using exhaust fans or installing a mechanical ventilation system. Merts Heating & Air Conditioning offers air purification and filtration options to keep you breathing easier.
- Indoor allergens such as dust mites, pet dander, mold spores and pollen are common contributors to poor IAQ. Regularly clean your living spaces, vacuum with a HEPA filter, wash bedding frequently and keep pets away from bedrooms to reduce allergen exposure.
- Volatile organic compounds (VOCs) can cause respiratory issues and are emitted from household products like paints, cleaning agents, furniture and carpets. Opt for low-VOC or natural alternatives, increase ventilation during and after product use and choose eco-friendly materials for your home.
- Excessive moisture promotes mold growth, which releases spores into the air, triggering allergies and asthma. Identify and repair any water leaks, use dehumidifiers in humid areas and ensure proper ventilation in bathrooms and kitchens. Merts has humidity controlling options for you to keep your home at the proper moisture levels during every season.
- Cigarette smoke contains thousands of toxic chemicals that significantly deteriorate indoor air quality. A key way to eliminate the risk is to establish a smoke-free environment and encourage smokers to smoke outdoors to minimize exposure to harmful pollutants.
- Air filtration is important for most homes. Invest in high-quality air filters that can effectively capture and remove airborne particles. Consider using air purifiers with HEPA filters to further enhance indoor air quality, particularly in rooms where you spend most of your time. The trained professionals at Merts can help.
Improving IAQ is vital for your overall health and well-being. By addressing the causes mentioned above and prioritizing IAQ solutions, you’ll not only enhance your respiratory health but also promote better sleep, improved cognitive function and overall quality of life.
For more information or to schedule an appointment with a Merts technician, contact our office today.